Skip to the content

Insuring Farm Vehicles: Do I Need Commercial Auto Insurance Or Agribusiness Insurance?

If you are in the field of agriculture, agribusiness insurance can help protect your entire business, including your farm equipment. If you have vehicles used on your farm or in your business, you will likely want to include commercial vehicle insurance in your agribusiness insurance package. Our knowledgeable agent can advise you on the insurance coverage you need and help you find the best available rates for that protection.

What Is Agribusiness Insurance?

Agribusiness insurance is specialty insurance for farm and ranch operations. Running a farm or ranch is a risky business. This is particularly true today, with advanced technology and environmental concerns. A commercial agribusiness insurance package is customizable to suit your specific needs. Our experienced agent can advise on what coverage to carry for the protection you need. Possible coverage options include:

  • Property insurance: To protect your buildings and their contents, your equipment, and other real and personal property.
  • General liability insurance: To protect your business against liability for bodily injury, property damage, medical payments, etc.
  • Business income insurance: For protection against loss of income due to business interruptions.
  • Workers’ compensation insurance: This insurance is required by law for most employers and can help protect you from liability for employee injuries.
  • Crop insurance: This is valuable coverage that protects you against losses on a farm due to weather conditions, price fluctuations, and unavoidable diseases and pests.
  • Cyber liability insurance: To cover your losses associated with a data breach.

What Is Commercial Auto Insurance?

Commercial auto insurance may be part of your agricultural business insurance package. It provides coverages similar to those in your personal auto insurance policy. This insurance can cover employees who drive company-owned vehicles or who use their own vehicles for business purposes. Covered vehicles may include cars, vans, commercial trucks, and other vehicles used on a farm or ranch. This type of insurance covers physical damage and liability, including:

  • Bodily injury liability: This covers injury or death for which you are at fault, and usually provides you with legal defense.
  • Property damage liability: Protects you against liability for damage accidentally caused by your vehicle to another person’s property, plus legal defense in most cases.
  • Medical payments, no-fault, or personal injury coverage: This insurance pays for medical expenses for a driver or passengers in your vehicle who were injured in a covered accident.
  • Collision coverage: Pays for damages to your vehicle if it is involved in a collision with another vehicle or an object.
  • Comprehensive coverage: This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle from other causes than collision, such as theft, fire, flood, and vandalism.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: This insurance can cover your injuries and certain property damage if you are hit by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.

Chances are, you may need commercial auto insurance to cover your vehicles and employees, in addition to agribusiness insurance to protect other aspects of your business. Speak with our friendly agent at your earliest convenience. We can help ensure you have the coverage you need to protect your agricultural business at the best available rates.